Sunday, April 5, 2009

Utah Trip

Here are some of our pictures from our trip to Utah to visit my parents. Here are some in the Minneapolis airport.

Here is a cute of one with Seth with his Grandpa Skouson. He really liked my Dad. He played catch with Granpa and Aunt Ruth. I am so glad I brought the kids with me.

Seth also really loved Ruth's dog Tillie. He loves doggies. He would give Tillie toys to play with, so Tillie got a bit spoiled, and unfortunatly chewed up a few things I am sure she otherwise would have stayed away from. The kids were really cute with Tillie. Here is one of Matthew, Kara, and Lindsay. The entire time Rae's kids were there, my kids wanted to be in the basement playing with their cousins Brian and Tyler. They had such a great time. In fact, the other week in church, they were talking about extended families, and Kara wrote a letter to her cuvin (she mixes up the z and v sounds sometimes). It was really cute. It was a picture of them playing. I keep meaning to mention this to Rae, but I keep forgetting.

OK, so I am not the best picture taker. As you can see by the fact I almost have as many pictures taken in the airport as at my Mom and Dad's house. Oh well.

So, our trip to Monticello was very fun. It was really good to visit with my Mom and Dad. My Dad seems to be hanging in there pretty well. He never complains- a lesson I could learn. We played a lot of cards. It was so nice to have Dad have some good hearing aids. He really talks a lot more. There were days when he was awake for a good amount of time, but there was also a day or so when he slept a lot. It was nice to see how Mom and Dad's schedule goes and that they are in a routine that is working. It was also nice to be there with Rae and chat with her as well. Seeing her and Rich having been so obedient and so prepared for life without a job makes me grateful for prophets who give such wise counsel. What good examples Rae and Rich are to me.

I was so glad I decided to take all the kids with me to go see my parents. My dad really interacted a lot more with the kids since he can hear so much better. He really talked a lot more to the kids and instigated more conversations. The kids really enjoyed being there. I really loved being there with my parents.

On my way out of town, I found the battery to my Mother-in-laws car dead (my kids love to turn on those lights overhead, and in our car, the lights automatically turn off, so I don't ever check them, but I guess hers aren't the same, so the battery was dead). We couldn't find the keys to Ruth's car, so we ended up calling a neighbor to help us out. He happily did, and was sincerely glad to be able to help my Mom and Dad. I was so grateful to be leaving and knowing there were many people surrounding them who love them. One of the hardest parts of all this is being so far away from my parents and feeling a bit helpless to help them if they needed it. I have been so grateful for Ruth being so close and such a great help to my parents. It is also a huge blessing to have so many friends and neighbors in Monticello who love them and will help them, too. I think there are more hand willing to help than tasks to be done.

All that said, I want to go back and visit, but with the house situation, I am not sure when that will be.

No comments: