Monday, July 6, 2009

What we have been doing

It has been awhile since I've updated. Here is what we did when Brian was in China.

Each day, Brian would call between 8:30 and 10:00am (for us. It was between 9:30 and 11pm for him). We really looked forward to those calls. We used Skype for the calls, so it didn't cost us any more than our internet already does. It was fun because the sound would come over the computer speakers and then we would take turns talking into the microphone. It was fun to hear the kids talk to their dad. They really missed him. Seth didn't quite ever talk to Brian much. He still doesn't understand the concept I guess. He did say a couple of words one day, but that was it. He did sit and listen very intently when he got to wear the microphone.

Other than that, we kept ourselves busy. We went to a beach nearby with a friend. It was called Foxbrook park (or something like that). It was really pretty cheap. It was only $5 per car. On weekdays it is only $3 a car. We went with my friend Emily, and her kids Patrick and Missouri. Matthew and Patrick are best friends. They have really enjoyed playing with each other this summer.

Both Sundays we went to our new ward. The kids enjoy it. Seth is even really getting used to nursery. He is happy to go. He might be happier if I stayed with him, but he is happy to go. He loves to play with the toys. He is so funny. Lately instead of saying yes, he will say Uh huh. He gets the intonations right, but it just sounds like huh. Anyway, it is pretty cute.

It seems like Matt had a couple of play dates with Patrick during the week. Then, Thursday night, Patrick came over for a "late night." Patrick doesn't get to have sleep overs yet either, so he got to stay here until about 9pm. It was pretty fun. They even got to catch a toad before Patrick left.

We started swimming lessons for the kids. We drive about 25 minutes away, but it was really pretty cheap. They have swim lessons this week and next, then we'll be done for the summer. It works out well timing wise because we'll be gone to Utah for so long. The first day of lessons, we stayed and swam after lessons because it was above 90 degrees outside and a bit humid. I am not sure our air conditioner is very good either because it really doesn't work on hot days. I need to get it checked out. Part of me hopes it is broken, so we can get a new one while the home warranty is in place, but part of me thinks it might just be old and not up to cooling this house well. Anyway, the place we go for swim lessons and swimming is a really fun pool. There is a bigger pool with a slide that is two or three stories high and twists and a few diving boards. Kara went down the big slide all by herself a few times. The first time she had the life guard catch her (it has to be a lifeguard, not me), and the next few times she went up with Matt. Then, she went up and down all by herself because Matt was going off the diving boards. I was really proud of her. Matthew was very good at helping her go up the stairs and get comfortable with it. I am grateful to have such nice kids. The pool also had a really fun sand box area. It had a couple of small fountains of water in it and lots and lots of sand toys. Matthew, Kara, and Lindsay actually spent a good amount of time playing in there. It was right next to the zero depth area. Seth really loved swimming. I think because it was so hot, and because the water really was a nice warm temperature, he loved swimming. He LOVES his baths, but he doesn't always love when we go to swimming pools. I hope he'll like it as much when the air temperature is a little cooler.

We also picked some strawberries while Brian was gone. We chose a really hot day to do it (the same 90+ degree day). It was so hot. We picked berries for maybe 15 minutes then Matt's friend Patrick got sick from the heat, so they went home. We decided to stay and pick some peas and some more berries, but the berries were warm and not so good by that time, so we didn't get as many as we would have liked. Oh well. There is always next year. I did make some jam and froze some for smoothies. The kids were very good helpers. Kara really did a great job picking the berries. I think she picked almost as many as I did. Matt did a good job of picking peas. It is nice to have kid that are a help on outings like that.

We had a movie night with pizza. We watched Tale of Despereaux. It was all right. We also got into a habit of letting the kids stay up late. They have really enjoyed the new house and having the summer schedule. They love to play outside. We have to be really careful to remember to put bug spray on them. There are so many mesquitos here. I get bites all the time. Even if I spray the little pests find the one spot I didn't spray (like on the underside of my arms or the side of the back of my neck) and bite me. Kara and Matthew have had quite a few bites as well. I think Lindsay might have had two or three bites, but that is it. I thought that Brian didn't get bitten, but we now think he just isn't allergic (he hasn't had one bite all summer or last summer either- not even one). He got bitten yesterday on his hand, so he sprayed himself with bugspray for the first time. There was a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny red spot on his hand where you could tell he had been bitten because he pointed it out to me. But it didn't swell up or itch or anything. Now it is gone. Lucky Brian.

Last Sunday night Brian got home from China. He took my camera with him, so I didn't get any pictures of the kids to post with this post.

Matthew has had a great time playing outside. He caught a bunch of frogs. He caught a Cope's tree frog and a lot of American Toads. We found this out because we found a website that lists the 12 different types of frogs and toads found in Wisconsin, and it has samples of their calls. I don't think I could have planned a better "science lesson" if I had tried. He has really enjoye it. In fact, when we went to the library, he checked out a book about Wisconsin frogs, too. We also caught a caterpillar that we put in a jar with a small branch. Within about a week, it was a moth. It was amazing to have it happen so fast. Unfortunately all our wildlife hasn't survived. We are trying to encourage Matthew to let some of his "pets" go, so they will live.

Lindsay also cut her own hair (again). She kept saying she wanted it short, like a boy. I cut it as short as I dared, and it turned out OK. She actually looks really cute with short hair. Anyway, I cut it, and told her how cute it was. She told me it wasn't cute, it was handsome. She is so funny. Lots of people have been telling her how cute her hair is short.

Kara also wanted a hair cut. We cut hers just to her shoulders. She really likes it (it surprised me that she wanted it cut). It also looks way better. You really couldn't tell I had brushed it after about 30 minutes. Now, her daily hair brushing is enough.

We also played in the water a lot. The kids love to run through the sprinklers and play with water balloons and the hose.

That is mostly what we did while Brian was gone. I went to bed almost as soon as the kids did most of the days. There were a couple of days I stayed up a little later, but I was pretty tired.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

Martha, I made my own Moby wrap, and I LOVE IT!! They aren't hard, and if you want instructions, I can e-mail you.

johnemilee AT msn DOT com (I hate those spambots)