As, I have been thinking of ways to save money, here is one I probably won't try. So, Tuesday (or was it Wednesday), our furnace wasn't working very well. I woke up very early in the morning with Seth, and I thought it was quite chilly in the house. I wasn't too surprised because I have been keeping the heat quite low (63-66) during the day, and a little lower at night. Really the kids haven't complained, mostly it is just Brian, and once he puts on a sweatshirt, he is fine. I actually think it is because at work, they keep it plenty warm (and in the summer our house is always warmer than Kohls as well) in the offices. Anyway... I decided to check the thermostat, and it was 56 or something really quite chilly. I heard the fan running downstairs in the furnace, but no air was blowing (not even cold air). Anyway, to make a long story short, the repair man came three different times, and finally our furnace works. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the last prayer (out of real frustration because it was so cold and so late at night and the kids were sick, and I wasn't feeling good more-so it was a really sincere one) or the batteries in the thermostat (that I replaced after the next day) than the repair man coming three different times to fix it again and again and again). I am grateful for prayer and a warm house.
Anyway, after turning on the oven, and pulling out our tiny space heater and warming up the house to 60, it didn't ever really drop below 60 again. It made me wonder if I always kept the thermostat to 60 how much money we would save. I wonder how warm the house would stay without the heat. Or with minimal heat. Anyway...60 degrees at night when everyone is under their covers is one thing, but 60 during the day, when the floors and walls are cold, and people are up and around is another. That is why that is an experiment I might never try.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hmm, maybe we'll try that when we're living on our meager stipend... probably not, though.
sounds like wisc is as chilly as alaska. it's made me greatful for my heater too!
Martha Skouson-Taylor... don't you dare! It sounds like you've been at home sipping the kids' cough syrup, what are you crazy? Oh wait... you are crazy, makes me miss you terribly! Reminds me of late night cramming and getting so tired we have the sillies, that's what it sounded like to me! Anyway, take care- AMBER
In Toledo, I always kept our thermostat at 55 (except when company was coming) and the girls never minded. Of course, that was an apartment with heaters on in the apartments above and below, so I bet we were really more around 62 or 63. If you train your kids to like the cold when they're young, it will save you millions on your gas bills. :)
It's not the cold that gets me, it's the heat. . . We do pretty well with blankets and stuff, so we have really low bills for the three cold months here. However, it's the summer that kills us. We can only take so much off, and Rob has some really good built in heat insulation, so we have to turn the air on in the summer. Maybe when we move, things will be different.
Post a Comment